The attributes that have driven the increased use of fodder beet include
- Flexibility – it can be feed in situ or lifted and feed out on feed pads or through silage wagons in the paddock
- Long shelf life – can be used when its required
- High yielding – allows use of reduced cropping areas
- Cost – highly cost effective option per kg of dry matter
- High quality – produces a consistent high energy feed source
To grow a successful fodder beet crop can be challenging and requires careful planning and detailed management through the season.